A special treat that’s suitable for anyone avoiding gluten, this is deliciously indulgent! We made it as a birthday cake for our Events Manager Angi and it didn’t last long in our kitchen…
For the gateau:
330g brown sugar
330g softened butter
6 eggs, separated into bowls
330g grated dark chocolate
330g ground almonds
For the ganache:
250g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a 9-inch spring form cake tin with baking parchment.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until fully combined. Gently fold in the egg yolks, once fully combined fold in the ground almonds. Once this mixture is fully combined fold in the grated chocolate. Whip up the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until they hold stiff peaks, then fold into the rest of the mixture.
- Pour into the lined cake tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Cool on a rack. Only when it’s cool should you take it out of the tin and onto a wire rack for icing or your serving platter.
- Once fully cooled, prepare your ganache for icing: bring the cream to a boil in a pot, once it has begun to boil remove and pour over the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
- You can pipe your message on in white chocolate like we did or sprinkle toasted flaked almonds over the top.